Ontario College Application Service (OCAS)
Going to a university isn’t the only option you have after finishing high school. You can also choose to go to a college, which may be the better route if you wish to receive technical training. However, before you can do that, you must first go through the Ontario College Application Service or OCAS Canada application!
How can the OCAS program benefit you?
Another impressive thing about Ontario colleges is that the application process is fairly simple. As mentioned before, you would need to go through the OCAS login and OCAS program application before admission into your chosen school.
Students in Canada and abroad are able to earn their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) completely online through BrightMinds Academy Online. In order to obtain an OSSD, students are required to earn a total of 30 credits, complete the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT), and complete 40 hours of community service hours.
Differences Between the OCAS and the OUAC
Are you preparing your applications for undergraduate admissions? Then it’s important to understand the application procedures. In Ontario, there are two centralized application services: the OUAC and the OCAS. First-time applicants often confuse the two. Fortunately, this guide has everything you need to know about the OUAC and the OCAS.
The Ontario Universities Application Center (OUAC)
- The OUAC processes admission applications for the following programs at Ontario universities: undergraduate, law, medical, rehabilitation sciences, and teacher education.
- Students can apply for this service if:
- They are under 21 years old and taking courses at a high school in Ontario.
- They are applying for the first year of a diploma or an undergraduate degree program at an Ontario university.
- They have not been out of high school for more than seven months.
- They are expected to receive their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) at the end of the school year.
- They have not attended any college, university, or career college.
- Students can apply to Ontario universities using the OUAC website. Before proceeding with the application steps, students need to create an account for OUAC login.
- After OUAC login, high school students must complete all the sections of their application, review their program selections, and submit their application before the deadline.
- Students must keep their OUAC account information, password, and reference number in a safe place.
The Ontario College Application Service (OCAS)
- OCAS Canada processes admission applications for Ontario colleges.
- Compared to university degrees, college programs are more flexible, economical, and supportive, which is why some students might prefer applying through OCAS Canada.
- Different colleges have different requirements for admission. Students are encouraged to visit their chosen school’s website to learn more. However, most colleges require an Ontario Secondary School Diploma or any equivalent.
- Students can apply to Graduate Certificate programs as long as they have the following: a prior college or university certificate, diploma, or degree.
- Students can easily apply through the OCAS Canada
Take note that both the services do not have any jurisdiction over admission decisions. They are simply centralized processing centers to make the admissions procedure more convenient.
OCAS Application: How to apply
Don’t worry; the process doesn’t take too long. You just have to follow the steps below:
- Visit the Ontario College Application Service website and enter your OCAS login.
- Check the OCAS College Map and find campuses near you.
- Browse different OCAS programs using the website’s Find a Program tool.
- Take note of your chosen colleges’ programs and admission requirements by visiting their respective websites.
- Apply for your selected programs.
Fortunately, the application process through the OCAS Canada website has been streamlined to help you finish requirements all in one platform. Besides completing your application, you can update your OCAS college applications, view offers of admission, and request your high school transcripts!
OCAS Application: When to apply
As long as space remains in an Ontario college program, you may apply for it. However, there are some important dates to keep in mind, especially for popular programs that fill up quickly.
Apply to college as soon as the online application becomes available in October. Complete and pay for your application on or before February 1 in order to receive equal consideration for admission to programs beginning the following September.
The following dates apply to programs starting in the fall of 2022. The application process at ontariocolleges.ca follows an annual cycle, based on the academic year (August to July). For programs beginning at other times of the year, please contact the individual colleges for more information about application processing dates.
Early October 2022: Online Application Opens
In early October, access to the online college application becomes available for programs beginning in the following academic year (August to July). You may create an account and begin your application.
November 1, 2022: Earliest Offer Date
This is the earliest date that colleges may begin to send offers of admission to programs for the upcoming academic year. Offers will continue to be issued until programs are filled or wait-lists are established.
February 1, 2023: Equal Consideration Date
Apply on or before this date in order to receive equal consideration for admission to programs starting the following fall. After this date, colleges consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until programs are full.
Note that applications to Highly Competitive Programs must be received by this date in order to be considered. Applicants are encouraged to complete their applications well before the Equal Consideration Date, as website volumes on the online application are at their highest at this time. Many programs continue to accept applicants after February 1.
May 1, 2023: Deadline to Confirm Offers of Admission
Applicants must confirm their acceptance of an offer of admission by this date. Log in to your ontariocolleges.ca account to confirm your offer.
Colleges may extend offers of admission after this date. Each college will set the deadline to confirm offers made after May 1, and this deadline will be communicated to you with your offer.
June 2023: Tuition Deposit Due at the Colleges
The colleges require payment of a tuition deposit in June to secure your spot in your program. Each college sets its own tuition deposit amount and payment deadline. This information will be communicated to you by the college.